Ms. T (Surabaya) on Respect

I’ve known Ms. T as a very courteous person. But I did not realize her true courtesy until I had dinner with her and her fiance at a nearby pizzeria. When she took her seat, the first thing she did was turning off her cell phone. Looking at my bedazzled face she smiled and said, “This is what I used to do in an appointment. I've set this time to be spent with you and I won’t let anybody to disturb. They can wait for another hour. Besides, I am not a doctor or in an emergency situation.” And so I enjoyed great time with great friends and with not really great food (for me). I’m not fond of pizza by the way. In a time when people seem to not be able to live without their cell phones, she has shown me a great lesson and example - though it's not always easy to follow - in respecting other people’s time and company.

Comments