Welcoming The Next Step

I thought there were only two good things I found in Aceh: fine coffee, which you can find almost everywhere, and stunning beaches. I was wrong.

I had moved for good to this tsunami-stricken area for almost two months and it was one month to go to the opening of the school. The climate was extremely hot and humid. The tap water was brownish and putrid. The electricity was on and off, with the emphasis on the ‘off’. The groceries were mostly overpriced. The spiritual atmosphere was oppressive. The neighborhood was suspicious. The paper work was bureaucratically intricate. The government curriculum was convoluted. The prospective teachers and parents were so demanding. However all of them were nothing compared to the waiting for conviction of someone worth waiting for. It was simply agonizing. I knew I had to stay focused. My personal life should not hinder the mission. But it was one of many things in life that is easy to say and hard to do.

One scorching afternoon, my mind was wandering somewhere when I was startled by my cell phone’s alarm. I was in the middle of doing the finishing touch of the painting of the school’s revised name due to the objection of some people. It was a short message from her. She told me that finally she got the conviction. She was willing to live in Aceh and by faith believed that all things would work together for good for those who love Him. I did not know what to say. It’s a strange feeling how I was being moved from agony to joy. The transition was just way too fast to notice. My waiting time had ended and the next step to our marriage has officially started. And as usual, the world looks better and the pressure of life is suddenly lighter for someone in love.

I have to admit that this happy feeling of mine had partly contributed to sustain me in the midst of the hardships. One after another, the challenges were taken care of and despite of the opposition and challenges, Sinar Mulia was successfully launched on July 17, 2005 with around 30 students enrolled at kindergarten level.

Comments

Post a Comment